Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Blessed Three Months, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Today, my sweet baby girl is three months old.  I can’t believe how much she’s grown in that time.  I see her every day, and she sneaks it by me.  Then, one day, I wake up and wonder how she got so big! Watching her grow is bittersweet.  I’m sad to see how fast it’s going, but at the same time, it’s so much fun.  Also today, I went to see my doctor, because my body has been doing some abnormal things since I gave birth.  While I was in the exam room waiting, I heard a woman crying outside in the hallway.  I gathered from the bits of the conversation I was hearing that she had miscarried.  My heart ached for her, and I was reminded once again of how blessed I am.  Dean and I have marveled at how blessed, and how fortunate we’ve been in the last few months.  I can think of a few acquaintances whose babies were born around the same time as Dinah, and more than one of them had extended hospital stays or even losses.  I’m so blessed and so thankful to have a sweet, HEALTHY baby girl. 
I’ve heard the Christmas story every year since I can remember.  I’ve heard it in many ways, whether it be simply the words from the Bible, or a song, or a play.  This year, I see it differently than ever before.  The sermon Sunday morning was over Luke 2, but instead of focusing on just the birth of Jesus, we read farther through the dedication of the baby Jesus at the temple.  Luke 2:34-35 stood out to me, it says :  Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”  As I thought about that passage, I thought of it from the perspective of Mary, of a mother.  How much joy and sadness she must’ve felt.  And, I thought of it from the perspective of an ordinary woman.  This Christmas, I’m reminded of how blessed I truly am.  As my mother put it this morning, a baby changes things.  My own baby has changed my life forever.  That baby, Jesus, has changed my life even more, and eternally, along with the lives of every other human who accepts Him for who He is. 

And, since I likely will not take the time to post anything for a few days, I pray you all have a Merry Christmas, and that God will richly bless you this year. 
(Sorry the pic is a little blurry.  That’s what happens when you snap a picture on the fly, using a camera on a Stone Age phone, with a subject that is never still. )

No comments:

Post a Comment