Friday, July 27, 2012

Five Years

On this day, five years ago, something big happened. No, I'm not talking about the news helicopters from two Phoenix stations colliding while covering a police chase. I'm not talking about a particularly great prank on National Sleepy Head Day in Finland, either. That sounds like a fun one, though. Oh, but do me a favor. Don't ever let my husband know that day exists. Okay? Thanks.

Speaking of husbands, have you figured it out yet? That's right! Five years ago today, I got myself one. I married my best friend. And you know that whole cliché about it being the best day of your life? It kind of was. I mean, the day Dinah was born should probably be in the running too, but that whole labor and delivery part makes it ineligible in my book. That was a good day because of the end result; the day in general wasn't that fun, but my wedding day? That was a fun day!

I stood on a beach beside my best friend; our feet cooled by the ocean waves, and promised to love him every day for the rest of my life. It was a gorgeous day. The weather was slightly overcast, which only made the colors in the sky and the sand and the water seem that much more vibrant. Nature tends to speak of God’s glory anyway, but for me, the ocean is where I seem to feel it the most. The landscape magnified the joy that day of knowing I was being joined with the man God had created for me. What I remember about that day is beauty, joy, laughter, family and friends, and a sense of peace. I can honestly say I never got cold feet, not even for a second. I knew I was right where I was supposed to be, doing exactly what I was meant to be doing.

And now, every day isn’t perfect, but I’m convinced that we’re perfect for each other. We may not be back on that beach today where we’d like to be, and we may not be able to do anything extravagant to celebrate this year. In fact, we are both working on our anniversary. Nevertheless, I’m still excited to go home to him at the end of the day and enjoy a weekend by his side.

But man, do I ever miss that beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment