Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bittersweet

Four years ago, my husband and I embarked on a new journey. We bought some land. It was a complete exercise in trust on my part. At the time, I had graduated college and was on month five of my job search. My husband and I were getting antsy, and I had just been through a discouraging, and misleading experience with a temp agency. I came home feeling defeated and depressed, and jumped back into searching. My husband went across the street, and bought a newspaper to help me search. Instead, what he found was land for sale. I was skeptical, because well, I had no job. He was excited, and determined that he’d get a second job if that’s what it took. I decided to trust my husband, and trust God to lead him in the right direction. What resulted was signing a contract to buy some land, and getting a job offer in the same week.

Although we thought the land would mostly just sit there for a couple years until we had the money to do something with it, God had other plans. The times when we have future plans, and God speeds them up have been a recurring theme in our marriage. So, a year later, we were moving into a camper on our land and starting construction on a house. Now here we are, in the process of selling it. We closed this afternoon. It’s been a great place. It’s been stressful, and cramped, definitely more crowded than we intended, but it’s been home. There are definitely things I’m going to miss, like…

the outside space
the stars
the land
lots of trees to block the wind
room to shoot
knowing we built everything all on our own
knowing it’s our first place
house in perfect shape


And, there are things I won’t miss…

the drive time
commuting on a dangerous highway, people don’t pay attention
having only one bedroom
the cost of gas
not having a dishwasher
limited inside space
having everything crammed into one small space
heat & air window unit
being too far from the rest of civilization
having the washer & dryer in the same room as everything else
my car covered in dirt at all times
etc…


What I do know is that it is the most bittersweet feeling I’ve ever known.




No comments:

Post a Comment