Monday, March 10, 2014

My Friend, Barnabas

Every time I read the story of Barnabas in the Bible, I think about how much more I need to be like him. I mean, his name means "son of encouragement." (Acts 4:36) Every one of us could use some encouragement once in awhile. Or, you know, all the time. What if we all encouraged each other a little bit more? Wouldn't that be awesome? 

Luckily, although not everybody is good at (or works at) being an encouragement, some people are. I have one such friend, and I am immensely grateful for her. Once upon a time, we were in Sunday School together, so I saw her often. Later, our class began to get too big, so we split it into two. Good problem to have, but we wound up in different classes. Now we joke when we see each other that "hey, we do go to church together!" because we usually just see each other from a distance or in passing. 

But, let me tell you, she still encourages me. One time, after reading about how much I hate the cold, she brought me some of my favorite hot chocolate. She always remembers to tell me happy birthday sometime during the month. As a baby shower gift, she and her husband bought us a gift card to go out to eat, with the offer of babysitting to go with it. Genius. She always encourages me to write, which I love, but find it difficult to find the time (or brain capacity) to do. Just when I think I should shut my tiny little blog down, she tells me about reading it, and encourages me to keep at it. 

Yesterday, our Sunday School classes combined, and it was so good to look up across the room and see her smiling face waving at me. After class, I intended to make my way over and get a hug, but I ended up stopping to talk to someone else. Then I turned around to find her waiting for me. 

Thank you, friend, for your encouragement. Your smiling face and thoughtfulness bless my heart, sometimes when I least expect it. And may the rest of us be a little more like Barnabas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment