Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Anniversary

Three years ago…
At 8:30am Eastern Time, I walked onto a beach of soft, white sand. It was slightly overcast that morning, which provided the perfect light to bring out the colors and contrasts of God’s beautiful creation. It was more beautiful that morning than any other day that week. Pictures couldn’t capture the beauty we beheld that day.

With a bouquet of white daisies and yellow roses, and a few white orchids in my hair, I made my way to the water’s edge, where the man God had made just for me was waiting. There, we stood together in the warm ocean, with a few family and friends gathered around, and listened to the preacher talk about leaving our families and cleaving to each other. It was a simple ceremony, just like we’d wanted it. We didn’t want any tradition or extravagance to take away from the focus that day: the commitment we were making to each other and to God.

I couldn’t have asked for a happier, more beautiful day. It truly was the happiest day of my life. I love to look back on that day, and the wonderful week that followed. We spent time shopping, eating, resting, learning, exploring. And, we spent a lot of time on that same beach, talking and laughing and enjoying each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment