Friday, July 9, 2010

The Secular Workplace

In the business world, you often give special treatment to those who are well off. Ford Motor Company giving free vehicles to Toby Keith comes to mind. And, I’ve always thought it was backwards. I’ve seen it in my own job too. I work with business owners, and there are certain customers that I am required to “baby” more than the others. Never mind that they don’t do most of their business with us, the fact that they are a big business with lots of revenue means they could benefit us, so we want to keep them happy. I use “we” very loosely there. Although I am expected to give them special treatment, I don’t always do it, unless specifically instructed. I feel like it’s my job to provide them with good service, but that goes for all of my customers. I don’t like treating them any different than anyone else.
The expectation that I will treat them differently has bothered me more today. Maybe I’m in a bad mood. Maybe working a job I don’t particularly enjoy for over a 1 ¾ years is getting to me. Maybe it’s the longing to quit and stay home with the baby on the way. Whatever it is, when I got a call from one such customer today, and they expected special treatment, to the point of not even being friendly to me anymore, it really got to me. I immediately thought of James 2:1-4, which says “
My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in.  If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?”

I know, working in a secular occupation, it is sometimes hard to find a balance. For me, today, it just reinforces the thought that this is not what I’m called to do. Please pray that God will provide a way for me to stay home with the baby, and give me clear direction from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment