Friday, May 27, 2011

Transparent

On occasion, I open up.  Today may be one of those days.  I’m a member of a young professionals group through the chamber of commerce in the city where I work.  I haven’t been super involved in it this year.  Last year, I joined a committee (although I was never extremely active on the committee, but I did show up for a few meetings), and I participated in a mentorship program.  I do still regularly attend the monthly luncheons, however. 
The luncheon for May was this week.  The speaker was the co-offensive coordinator for the football team of my college alma mater.  A former quarterback for the team, who lead them to the last National Championship; he’s a quite successful and intelligent guy.  He spoke about leadership and goals.  Quite fitting for a person of his profession, speaking to the group that he did, isn’t it? He really made me think, though. 
I was talking to my husband about it yesterday evening, and telling him that I had realized just because I feel like a failure doesn’t mean I’ve done all I can do.  After all, I’m not even 30 yet! I said to him, “you know how I often feel like I’ve failed?” His response resonated with me.  He said, “Yes. But, what exactly have you failed at?”  Uhhh… 
I guess I haven’t failed at anything in particular; I just haven’t been as productive or as successful as I had hoped to be, or as I always imagined myself.  And then it occurred to me.  My goals haven’t been very specific in the last couple years, and thus, not very attainable.  It’s hard to reach a goal when you don’t pinpoint what exactly that goal is.  I’ve been too broad, or too vague. 
I’m going to work on changing that.  Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment